Friday, May 6, 2011

Breaking the Ice

So, this is to be my little corner of the Web, I suppose.  I have been working on getting my family prepared for a while now, and have read more than my fair share about preparedness both in books and on the Internet. 

I am going to try and add my spin on things by taking a common sense approach to things.  Reading other people's blogs, forum posts, books, or articles, I have noticed that many people seem to be on one extreme or the other.  I think we all have times that we fit either extreme or the other, but sometimes we are in the middle.  This blog will hope to live in the middle, but sometimes we'll show the logic of the other two sides as well.

A little about me.  I am a Surgery Nurse at a local hospital, having been a Surgery tech previous to that.  I have catered, and even worked as a Delta Ground crew person for a time.  I have a Black belt in Aikijujutsu, and a Brown belt in Judo, and am currently learning Pekiti-Tersia-Kali.  I am an avid shooter, and love talking about guns.  I have a beautiful wife, a great son in the second grade and a terrific 18 month old daughter.  We live in Washington state.  

Prepping for me has recently gained importance in my life, though I can't really put a finger on why.  In surgery we have a saying, "Better to have and not need than to need and not have".  I think I have started taking that idea home in the form of trying to become more prepared.  I have looked at things like the Katrina disaster, and even more regional things like ice storms back east and wondered:  What would I do...  I think having children has made me think more about doing all that I can for them. 

In the coming posts, I will talk about whatever topics come up in my head.  I will try to make things as easy to understand as possible, but more importantly i will try to help you figure out what willl work for you and present them in a simple, easy to understand manner.
Some things that I intend to cover are:
Why Prepare
Go-Bags / Bug Out Bags
Food Storage Basics
Home Level Emergency Medical Care (as opposed to portable)
Self Defense Tactics, Mindset, Equiptment, Training
Getting the spouse on board with prepping
Firearms Training, Selection, Options
Financial Considerations in Preparedness.


Please feel free to leave comments.  I'd love to hear about things you would lie to talk about, ot things you'd like to see covered in future posts.

I hope you enjoy what you find, and share what you learn.

jim

1 comment:

  1. Nice. I look forward to coming posts. Also a recent concern of my own as you know.

    ReplyDelete