Sunday, August 28, 2011

The why's and wherefores of what I have in that GHB/EDC bag.

Prepping is all about what if's.
This bag is for the What if I need to get home, but can't quickly.  It's assumed that you can't drive, though this would be just as valuable if you could, you'd just need to be further away to make it make sense or even necessary.  From a survival perspective, an urban setting or even a suburban setting differs greatly from a wilderness setting.

For my money, in general, I know where I am and where I am headed.  There is no need for a map, though in the worst worst case scenario home would not be a viable destination either.  It'll usually be home from work, or home from somewhere else in the area.  Call it 30 miles tops.  Yes, I did include a compass, but like I mentioned, it can't be easily replaced and could be a valuable tool.  Maybe I'll look into a small map of the area.

If I am headed home in the wilderness, I'll have to make my shelter.  In an urban setting, I'll have to find it.  In a bag this small, there isn't much room for a Tarp of any size, though I'll be looking into ultralight backpacker type silicone treated nylon tarps pretty soon.  Maybe it'll take the place on my Nylon Bag.  Some folks will point out that in a truly End of the world event, you may have to break into or otherwise obtain entrance into places for shelter.  To me this is a sketchy subject.  I am a dyed in the wool rule follower.  First, how can you know that things are really that bad?  6 weeks or a year after an event you may come to realize that our civilization has ended, but that's a horse of another color; we're talking about getting home after something.  This may seem a bit of a digression, but I think it bears pointing out.  For getting home purposes, sleeping in some short of found shelter is going to make much more sense than breaking into somewhere.

I carry a notepad and pen.  Normally I also have half a pencil in there also, not sure where it went, I'll have to replace it.  Making a list of potential supplies found along the way, leaving a note for someone, fire tinder.  One of those write in the rain pads would be even better, but alas I am underfunded and this should work out ok if I am careful.  Working within the limits of yourself and your gear is almost as important as knowing what those limits are.

I approached this pack with the goal to hit 2 of the three Biggie components of survival.  I'm a thick man, so Food isn't at the top of my list in a 2-3 day scenario, but I still packed a protein bar because I had one laying around, it lasts forever and I had room.  The big Two I wanted to address were Water and Shelter. 

Shelter of specifically, Fire, is important for both the psychological and physiological reasons.  It keeps us warm and makes us feel safe.  So long as we are not being hunted, it's a great thing to have.  I have the fire steel from Firesteel.com .  Cheap, easy to use and built like a tank.  I also have a Bic.  Even if the fuel runs out, the sparker won't.  To cheat with the fire, I have alcohol wipes, paper from the notepad, shavings from the pencil, and a small bottle of Vaseline soaked cotton balls.  I will be doing a 'how to' later today and should have it posted by the end of the week.  They are awesome.  Fluff them out and it'll catch the smallest spark, a whole one will burn for almost 2-3 minutes.  More details to come.  I also have cordage for any one of a million uses.  Maybe two million.  This pack is too small for much more.  I have a cheapie poncho, a nicer thicker one would be better, but this one should do in a pinch.  I have used them before and I have to say they are suprising more duable than I thought it would be while still keeping me dry.  I'd like to pack spare socks, a wool hat maybe even some gloves, but again, size limited.

Water.  Cool clean water.  Without it you are screwed.  Iodine at ten drops per gallon will work well.  The Potable Aqua tabs have directions on them.  Ah, but fire, that and a steel cup you can boil water all day.  There have been a few different things I have read regarding Water treatment and heat.  Most said that bringing water to a boil for several minutes will kill anything in there that will harm you.  However, I have seen referenced several times that bringing water to a boil (and one even said just 170F) will in effect Pasteurize it.  It only makes sense, as that's how pasteurizing works normally.  My suggestion, look it up.  As always, please base what you do on what you know to be true, not on what I say.


Honestly, everything else there is a "handy to have".  Ok, maybe the knife needs to be there, but I imagine you could make do till you found something that'd work.  See, I packed my pack with the things that I think could come in handy.  Very few of the things have only one use.  Many have four or more.  Sure I bet I have a couple that make me a liar (knife sharpener, bottle opener ring), but over all it's pretty concise.  As for the bottle opener ring, it's in the neat things I have found section, under the heading Unnecessary. 

Well, there you have it.  I think that's a new record.  3 posts in a weekend.  Pretty cool.  I have another project brewing and another that I'm getting ready to do.  I'll keep the pics coming, and you just keep reading. 

No one but you can make you ready.
Identify what you want to be ready for and don't get bogged down in the planning.  Take small steps.  Do little things, identify the big things and work toward them.  Look around and find like minded people and talk to them.  Maybe even organize a party or get together where you can all talk about the things you are thinking about.  And remember like Jack Spirko says  "Everything you do to “prepare” for emergencies, disasters or economic turmoil should be blended into your life in a way that improves your life even if nothing disastrous ever occurs."  That's a little bit of genius right there.  That's the difference between the folks that HOPE the zombie apocalypse happens and those that want to make sure that when the Great Ice Storm of 2011 hits their family will be warm.  If you spend all your monies on bullets and food you will miss the things you can do to make you be able to deal with other disasters like unemployment or reduced income. 

Please take a second to leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Thanks for reading, and remember:
Better to have and not need than to need and not have.
 

jim

No comments:

Post a Comment