Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Hidden benefits of all those feel good walk fundraisers

So yeah, it's good for the Babies, Cancer Patients, Homeless, underprivileged, over-privileged, Dogs, Canaries and even the (insert feel good demographic here).  OK, that sounds a little coarse, but it's true.  It is good for them.  It is good to help those you can when you can.  Things like that are good for the community and good for you to help your kids understand why you donate and or do the walks.  It helps build in them the character that you want to see developed.  Secertly though, walking those 6 or so miles can be used as a test run for bugging out on foot, especially in those households that contain a bit of resistance for training or practicing.  For the guys, you look like one of those Oprah Winfrey types when you say you want to help the babies with an "oh and by the way, we could also be doing a practice bug out at the same time" if she's down with the prepping thing.  When the gals out there bring up going to one of these things, saying "but honeykins, it'll be a good chance for us to get out and do something physical" if he doesn't get it, might work.   While adding "besides we can grab the bug out stuff and see how tough a short bug out would really be" would gain you some monster brownie points if he does. 

Let me 'splain further.  When was the last time you were able to get the family to agree to walk 6 miles for no good reason.  There is a reason that these walks are in this format.  By doing so, people think they are doing this great thing, sharing in the burden of what ever is being supported if you will.  Standing up and saying, "see, I do care, I just walked 6 miles, AND I collected $87.50 to give.  It's cool.  And it's a way to see just how bad it sucks to hump that 65 pound bug out bag 6 miles on foot.  Can you say, "Man I need a lighter sleeping bag"?

I haven't talked about Bug out Bags yet, I know.  Hell, I haven't talked about much yet...

Bug out bag quickie:
Bug out bags have been called many things.  Go-Bags, Get Out Of Dodge (GOOD) Bags, and many more names that I won't waste my time on.  They are a way for you to have enough crap to survive for 3 days in the most basic way possible.  In another post I will go over the thinking of what should be in them and why.  For now though, I'll just say that they should cover the three basics (Food, Water, Shelter) with a few extras to cover you and your family for 3 days.  Every person should have their ow, but families like mine with a toddler, and school age kid that is a dream.  Sorry dad, but yer pack is going to weigh 4 tons. 

Back to the walks:
These walks are usually on trails or city streets.  It's a bug out best case scenario.  Nice terrain, no time limit, no bad guys chasing you with dogs and nary a Zombie in sight.  One other thing a bug out bag should be is discreet.  If you do need to jet the city for places unknown, you don't want to be walking through through a town you have never been to looking like you just carjacked some military patrol making off with the baddest ass piece of milspec gear.  Long story short, if during your walk, someone says, "Wow, what unit are you in?"  you are probably doing it wrong, and attracting too much attention. 

You will also see what how bad your choice of foot wear sucks.  I recently did the Walk for Babies.  6 miles and all of it in my new Vibram 5-toe-shoes.  Great running and martial arts shoes.  Shitty walking shoes, at least for me.  Initially, my feet felt fine, yet at mile marker 4 they started to ache.  By 6 i knew I was in for it the next day.  Strangely, this pain was alleviated when I ran to the finish when my son challenged me to a race.  And lo, the pain returned when I returned to walking pace.  Bugging out is no place to find out that your new $300 pair of Asolos give you blisters, or your $100 fancy toe shoes may not be good for forced marches. So dress rehearse with a good walk. 

Loaded down with water, good shoes, and your bug out bags; have fun.  Enjoy the walk, but don't forget your ulterior motive.  Think a bit while you are alone with your thoughts.  Are these shoes ok for this hike?  Would they be ok if I had to do this all day?  Would my family be ok?  When did the whining start?  Was it wife whining, or kid whining?  How could that be alleviated?  More breaks, or more fun, more food, more water?  How's the gear holding up?  Am I too cold or warm?  Is the bag too heavy?  Could it be heavier?  All of these are great questions to ask yourself.  I imagine there's more, but that'll do for now. 

In closing, I'll just say that I feel the community that you promote from becoming involved in charity walks is one of the more important things you can do.  Sure, they are not all that personal.  Folks don't exactly strike up conversations with your fellow walkers, though I imagine some do.  But they are good at providing a good way to donate to the cause and get you some exercise as well.  And for those of us who prep, they can be a good low stress report card for bugging out, granted in a limited fashion.

That's all for now.  Thanks for listening,
-jim

No comments:

Post a Comment